Sunday, February 21, 2010

Fasting to be Filled

Each step required mental command and my breath came in deep gasps, proclaiming out loud a week of missed exercise...my body had forgotten it's rhythm.

Such a reflection of my spirit. I had been off beat all week, a little sick, but mostly just off. Lack of daily sustenance...not even a snack.

That's how I began my fast, this monthly ritual of skipping meals, snacks and mindless eating...I began with my soul already starved.

I sat in church, stripped of all numbing food, bearing my soul... and it was ugly. I sat muddled and shamed but felt no desire to hide, only to be filled.


And I was.

Slowly at first, like a drink of cool water after a long run, wetness seeping into places I didn't know were dry. For a moment I was tempted to stuff myself full of sweet forgiveness without acknowledging the depth of my hunger, but mindless gorging can never fill, and each thoughtful bite offered was savored...was exactly what was needed,

and I ate.

For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly. O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.~Psalm 84:11




holy experience

2 comments:

  1. God is so faithful to always have that cool drink of water ready for us, for whenever we sit down and remember we need to drink. I enjoyed reading your post this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that verse. I keeps popping up in my live all over the place. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your expressions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails