Saturday, November 8, 2008

Awed in the Moment

From the beginning, I knew it couldn't be about race. To have the majority of citizens vote the mantel of United States President on an African American would be such a victory, but for it to be a true and lasting victory, it couldn't be just about race. So from the beginning I put the thought out of my mind, and opened up to a barrage of politics...through the mail, internet, tv, radio, community, and even at church. Everyone with their own ideas and opinions....nothing I hear could be clear...let alone completely truthful. I go with my gut. There are too many ways to spin truth into lies and in the end all we have is that instinct...based on prayer, to decide which will be the better, or in the worse case, which will do the least harm.

In the end the issues closest to my heart won my vote, and I don't regret not being one of the millions whose vote landed on the winning side, because it took everyone to make it happen. Everyone studying the issues, thinking, hoping and mostly praying; and now, no matter what political convictions I hold to, this is a day I am proud to be a part of. Without a worthy opponent the victory would be weak....and even if there is disagreement with some Democratic politics, it is hard to deny the power of the moment.



I have never understood all the attention given to this high barran peak, but today I saw its strength rooted in it's surroundings, and I couldn't get enough of it's views. I better understand the inspiration of the poem turned song by Katherine Lee Bates...

America!
America!
God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shinning sea!

There is a lot more to the song, and a lot more to come for this country. I have some concerns, but I can't help but enjoy the victory and what it means to everyone...of every race...who call themselves Americans. I find a lot of hope in open talk of prayer, and the wide agreement that we should pray for this man who will lead our nation.

May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobelness,
And ev'ry gain devine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your expressions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails