Thursday, October 15, 2009

Slow Cooker Survival

Last week when I was feeling a little under the weather, I dusted off my slow cooker and put it to use. I don't use my slow cooker very often simply because I don't usually plan ahead that far, and to be honest, I haven't always had a lot of success; things come out too runny, or under/over cooked, too bland or too hot. Luckily for me and my family, these recipes (that I got from a recent issue of Simple & Delicious) worked.

Tex-Mex BBQ

3 1/2 lbs beef roast
1 jar (18 0z) hickory smoke-flavored BBQ sauce (or make your own)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 envelope chili seasoning
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. lemon juice
14 hamburger buns (make your own....YUM!)

Cut the roast in half and place in slow cooker. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over beef. Cook on high for 5-6 hours. Remove beef and shred then return to slow cooker. Serve on the buns.

This made enough for dinner one night and Sunday lunch. I'm sure it would go farther if you actually feel well enough to serve it with a side dish or some vegetables.

Fiesta Chicken Burritos

1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can (15 oz) corn, drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans (I cook a batch of these up these from scratch and keep them in the fridge to use through the week)
1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies
3 T ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp pepper
Dash of cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper flakes
1 pkg. (8 0z) cream cheese
8 flour tortillas

Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients except cheese and tortillas and pour over chicken. Cook on low for 4-5 hours (better use high if your chicken was frozen). Remove the chicken and shred, then return to slow cooker adding the cream cheese. Cook for about 15 minutes more or until everything is warmed through.

We ate this on four tortillas the first night, over mashed potatoes a few nights later and then I cooked up the leftovers last night with corn tortillas in casserole of sorts.

3 comments:

  1. Both recipes sound amazing! I have a roast in the freezer and I am awful and making pot roast..that's usually hubby's job but I don't see him making one in the near future! I think I'll try the BBQ recipe! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe sound YUMMY!!! THANKS!!! for sharing. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum-delish! I absolutely love my crockpot, but I don't always have perfect meals that come out of it. However, for the most part, my family are forgiving and try to eat what I make. (this goes for oven, micro and stove top cooking too!)

    I did a dump chicken last week- I put four chicken breasts in the crock and a jar of mild salsa. About 10 minutes before we were ready to eat, I threw in some minute rice and let it get fluffy.

    We loved it! I had used a pineapple mango salsa or something like that- from Wal-mart. It was really easy and good. Good luck in making more in the crock.

    I am going to try the your Fiesta Burrito recipe. I love all the ingredients in this. And I know that my family will eat it.

    Thanks for linking to Ann's Food on Fridays. I get some great ideas through her meme.

    Shari
    Practically Perfect Life
    Make-Do Mondays

    ReplyDelete

Please share your expressions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails