Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Feeding the Hungry

We sang the song I'm sure I had sung several times before, and had never heard.

In fasting we approach thee here
And pray thy Spirit from above
Will cleanse our hearts, cast out our fear,
And fill our hunger with thy love.

It had been a tough week for everyone. Unexpected loss of those so young disrupts, even breaks life as we know it; leaves us scrambling to fix, offering food and calls and silent hugs.

Thru this small sacrifice, may we
Recall that strength and life each day
Are sacred blessings sent from thee-
Fill us with gratitude, we pray.

During that mending melody they came in, one less than the week before but stronger. Strength that came not from their own splintered spirits, but from the angels surrounding them; I felt them as they squeezed by and settled into crowed pews.

And may our fast fill us with care
for all thy children now in need.
may we from our abundance share
They sheep to bless, thy lambs to feed.

At that point we were all children of need and and yet there was so much abundance shared.

This fast, dear Father, sanctify-
Our faith and trust in thee increase.
As we commune and testify,
May we be filled with joy and peace.

I saw her again that night, the mother who had lost, and and for the first time in thee days she looked fuller; maybe just the edge knocked off her hunger, simple willingness to trust in her eyes. 



Text: Paul L. Anderson, b. 1946. © 1981 Paul L. Anderson and Lynn R. Carson.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know the song, but I hear the sentiment in it. It sounds like these are tough times around you. Praying for the Lord to bless and feed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put it so well as usual! My heart aches just reading this, but there is peace to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you are amazing...Every time I set down to write something I think how would Esther do it, or Mary, or Becky. I feel so inadequate next to you 3, but sure feel super super lucky to have you all as sisters. And I will keep posting pictures with plan little to say. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful expressions Esther! Sorry to hear about the sadness close by. I love that hymn. Hope you are having a good summer! How goes running?

    ReplyDelete

Please share your expressions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails