Friday, January 15, 2010

Lemonade Master Cleanse

As part of new ideas and renewed efforts to be healthy, I joined my husband in a cleanse. The idea being to clean out the insides in preparation for a new start.

After a week of only consuming lemons, maple syrup, cayenne pepper and a whole lot of water, I've learned a few things.

1. Clean is good. Just like having a clean house, things run more smoothly. I've always been a fairly healthy person, eating natural foods and lots of exercise, but I'm amazed at the difference. Every move feels less restricted, when I didn't even realize that it was. Breath flows smooth, muscles react quicker than expected and I have a keener sense of bodily placement.

2. The body is smart, listen to it. Taking variety and choice out of the equation, and just listening to the body's hunger signals was very interesting. I remember at one point, as I was sweeping the floor, I saw an old peanut shell hiding behind the couch. Instantly, I felt a reaction in my stomach and I wanted some munchies...anything salty and crunchy. This feeling was different from the usual messages sent when actual nourishment was needed. Learning to differentiate between sight/smell cravings and cravings for needed nutrients was very eye opening, and one I'm still working on.

3. Food nourishes more than the body. It felt good to give my body a rest from digestion and a chance to deep clean, but honestly, my body and soul were bored. Relying on food for entertainment and comfort isn't healthy for mind or body, but saying that food is the spice of life is no exaggeration. Giving into every compulsion is not what Heavenly Father ever intended for us, but I think there is a reason feasting is so often linked to our spiritual diet. Feasting does not equal gluttony, but a planned meal full of nourishment, variety and enjoyment. "...for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul."

4. Give thanks. Nothing like abstaining to increase gratitude for what you've always had. Faint aromas, married flavors, the ability to prepare....confessing His hand in all things; a blessing in itself.

Will I do it again? I look forward to it, but not for a year or so. Hubs says no way, so I guess I 'll be on my own...more to learn for sure.

1 comment:

  1. One sister I visit teach does a cleanse twice a year. She's little old Indian lady and swears it has kept her healthy all these years.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your expressions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails